Wednesday, December 3, 2008

And you thought Chemistry was boring.

My wife, best friend Ben and I got had some fun last week at Duke's Roadhouse in Bedford where I was screwed out of a $50 gift card when I got third place, well tied for it anyway, in Turkey Bowling. A steep bar tab later, I did get a consolation prize of tickets to a screening of Nobel Son and a crappy hat. I heard Ben & Skin talk about it earlier in the day, so I was enticed and wanted to see it. Well that screening was today, and I have to say it was worth the wait. Maybe not worth the disappointment of the lost gift card, but close enough.

It is a smart movie for starters. I mean, it centers around a man who wins a Nobel Prize in Chemistry if that says anything. I felt I lacked the IQ at times because it had some themes that were far beyond my comprehension. Especially with poetry and big words. Having my low intelligence, however, didn't hinder me or Ben from enjoying it. Aside from an almost perfect cast. Eliza Dushku didn't really sell me as far as performance, though if that her ass in the movie, then it is perfect, plus you also get some side/top boob action. Pretty much any movie with Alan Rickman will suck me in, but this is the best performance I have seen him in, even better than Snape you (fellow) Harry Potter nerds. His son in the film, whoever the actor is, takes the movie's best performance. From excitement, ecstasy, sheer terror and madness, he really runs the gamut of human emotions and does it with the ease and calculation of an Anthony Hopkins. I was really impressed with him and the film in general really. It was very stylishly directed, but that didn't dominate the film and the Paul Okenfold soundtrack really kept the heartbeat throughout the movie, enhanced the emotions and progressed it along nicely. I relly think anyone who likes smart comedies, action/adventure and real mind trip would love this movie. I will say it was an even better movie than Burn After Reading and is probably in the running for the best movie I have seen this year. I would really have to go back, but this movie was seriously fantastic and is what is what is right and good about independent movies. So take that Ben, you and your stripmall!

No comments: